Tuesday, June 2, 2009



Above is my creative aspect to my english final. It is a comic strip inspired by Albert Camus's "The Stranger." In this comic strip, a devout Buddhist is suddenly struck with a wicked thought. He decides to behead the Buddha idol in the temple that he is praying in. Shortly thereafter, he begins a killing streak, murdering everyone in sight for no apparent reason. The man is arrested and finds himself disgruntled in his jail cell. However, he begins reading "The Stranger" and feels a strong connection to Meursault. Ultimately, the man recites several aspects of the absurdist ideology, that there is no God, there is no greater purpose in life, and that the world is constantly hostile towards humanity.

This comic strip, in essence, sums up my findings concerning the critical lens of absurdism. I have relied on Camus's novel as my "bread and butter" to fall back on throughout this process since it is what I feel most comfortable discussing. Although it appears that I have only colored some objects in each frame of the comic strip either out of laziness or to draw attention to these objects, one will never know. After all, mankind will never be able to understand the "big picture" in life or if there is ever a single definite answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment